DEARhealth winner of the first ever Dutch applied AI award!
On November 24th 2020, 21 winners of the Computable Awards 2020 were announced during a live broadcast in the Scala Theater at Jaarbeurs in Utrecht. For the first time, this year also included the Dutch Applied AI Award, in collaboration with Podcast “De Dataloog” and the Amsterdam University of Applied Science (HvA). Our very own Katinka de Korte was invited as a guest and found herself happily surprised when she was handed this brand new award for DEARhealth!
A total of 52 nominations were evaluated by a jury of five AI specialists. There was a broad variety among nominees: from tech startups using AI in their business operations to products and project that integrate AI out in the world. The contenders were judged on criteria such as applicability, how unique the solution is and whether it has been marketed before, and the transparency of the AI algorithm. Lastly, the jury also weighed the social impact of the solution and whether sustainability is at the forefront of the design principles.
The jury of the Dutch Applied AI Award 2020 consisted of:
- Maaike Harbers, Lector (Professor of Applied Sciences) Artificial Intelligence & Society at the Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences
- Jurjen Helmus, Owner of De Dataloog and Expert Smart Asset Management at the HvA Expertise Center for Applied Artificial Intelligence
- Nanda Piersma – Scientific Director at the HvA Expertise Center for Applied Artificial Intelligence
- Henk-Jan Vink, Managing Director at TNO Unit ICT and co-writer of the Dutch AI strategy
- Jann de Waal, Founder of INFO and Chairman of Top Sector Creative Industries of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate
This jury boiled the initial list of 52 nominees down to a selection of 8 finalists. DEARhealth was already excited to be part of this short list, let alone deemed the winner of the Dutch Applied AI Award 2020! Nanda Piersma was the jury member to hand over the prize to Katinka, quoting from the Jury Report: “The transparency of the recommendations in the software of DEARhealth was the key differentiator to win this Award.”
This goes to show the importance of applying AI not as a “black box leading to a magical prediction” but following the route that DEARhealth chose: making the full synthesis of each recommendation transparent to the care team, to help them determine the best care for their patients. The entire DEARhealth team is honored to be granted this award, with many thanks to the jury and organizing team of Computable Awards 2020! This is a great acknowledgement of our work and our mission to improve health outcomes through applied machine learning in daily clinical practice.
For more information, please contact:
Katinka de Korte
DEARhealth, General Manager Europe
Fred. Roeskestraat 115 Amsterdam
Tel: +31 6 5153 4272
katinka.dekorte [at] dearhealth.com